Home About TFBC Events/Itinerary Watch/Listen Community Contact Us
 
 

Our History - since 1910

It was the year of 1910 the late George Gutter and his wife, Frankey Brumfield-Gutter along with their two children--Georgia and Mamie, came to Tylertown, Mississippi. Gutter’s vision for a place of worship led him to an old cattle shed where he removed the walls which provided enough material to build forty to fifty seats. Friends who stood with him donated one table, one chair and some lamps. Sawdust was used for flooring and kerosene lamps were mounted on posts as a source for lighting.

Gutter started the ministry with those who God sent in support of the vision. M.C. Hall-Dean, was elected as the first Sunday School superintendent. On May 5, 1910, the church was organized with the following members—Reverend Jesse Dillon (Moderator), Reverend D.J. Ross (Secretary), and Reverend L.S. Jones. Deacons from other churches were in attendance also. They included Square Gatlin Smith of Mount Olive and George Ratliff, along with John Fairchild, Sr. from Sunny Hill Missionary Baptist Church.

The church was named “Mount Wade Missionary Baptist Church.” Reverend Jesse Dillon became the first pastor. The founder, George Gutter became the first deacon. Meeting days were held monthly--first Saturdays and Sundays. Reverend G.W. Holden became pastor after the death of Reverend Jesse Dillon. Henry Buckles and Robert Varnado were ordained as deacons and the following members were added: M.C. Dean, George Pinn, Sr., George Pinn, Jr., Fred Raiford, Rankin Varnado, Lula Mae Allen, Pearl B. Williams, and Letha Buckles. In 1913, the ministry was moved to its present site located at 1506 Martin Luther King, Jr. Drive and re-named “Tylertown First Baptist Church.” The four succeeding pastors include: Reverend L.R. McEwen, Reverend James Pittman, Reverend Hivey Carson, and Bishop Walter J. Smith—who has served as pastor since January 1, 1982.

Pastor Walter J. Smith a native of Tylertown was elected Bishop January 2005 under the leadership of Bishop Mark Chironna the founder of The Master’s Touch International Church in Orlando, Florida, where Bishop Chironna also serves as senior pastor. Bishop Smith is a visionary to the empowerment of all people to achieve their God-given potential. He has developed numerous projects and organizations in an effort to revitalize the city of Tylertown, Mississippi. Under Bishop Smith leadership, the ministry has become God's catalyst for change in the region to combat poverty, religion and injustice. He is the proud parent of two children, John and Gweneka Smith.

 

More Links

Service Information
Sinner's Prayer
Events
Ministries
Church History
Bishop Walter J. Smith
Board of Elders
Staff / Finance Team

......................................................

 

 
 
         
 
             
 
 
   

About TFBC
Service Information
Sinner's Prayer
Events
Ministries
Church History
Bishop Walter J. Smith
Board of Elders
Staff / Finance Team


 

Ministries
Joshua Generation
Armed & Dangerous
Praise & Worship
Senior Citizens
Sanctuary Servants
Media Ministry
Outreach
Global Ministries International

 

Bishop Walter J. Smith
Biography
Consecration
Bishop's Blog
Words of Wisdom
First Family
Itinerary
Celebrations

 

 

Community
Partner Ministries
Martin Luther King Parade
International World Summit
TFBC Enterprise
Articles & Publications
Tylertown Neighborhood Resource Council

More
Watch/Listen Messages
Donate
Gallery
Online Store
News

 
 
 
Tylertown First Baptist Church, All Rights Reserved
1506 Martin Luther King Jr. Dr., Tylertown, MS 39667
Office Phone: +1 601 876-3110, Fax: +1 601 876-9929, email: info@tylertownfirstbaptist.org
site design:
 
Like Us!